The Towers (ca. 1798-1826-1858)
The rich Italianate facade of the Towers was built on the eve of the Civil War as a new front to an earlier frame cottage. The new front included a two-story recessed porch, or loggia, with three arches on each floor, set between matching three-story towers that were the source for the name of the house. The third stories were lost to fire in the 1920's. J. Edwards Smith, a local attorney, was the architect for the Towers. The house was built for W. C. Chamberlain, probably shortly after the land was acquired in1859. During the Union occupation of Natchez, the Towers was located within Fort McPherson, a large earthwork fortification constructed in the northern suburbs of town. Union Officers occupied the house while soldiers pitched tents on the eight acres of landscaped grounds.
Tours by appointment.
Don't miss The Towers "Jeweled Christmas" tour or the "Candlelight and Christmas" tour.